Archives: Building Names at Trent

Search the Archives

As originally structured, the Names Committee was a joint committee of Senate by virtue of being a sub-committee of Site Development Committee and also having representatives from the Board of Governors.

Adamson Power House

named in 1987 after Stan Adamson, a member of Trent's First Board of Governors;  the power house was donated to the University by the Canadian General Electric Company.

Agnes Neill Health Services Centre

named for Agnes Campbell Neill who was a pioneer in Canadian nursing and became Matron-in-Chief of Canadian nurses who served during the Second World War.

Athletic Building

named after P.S.B. Wilson, the first Director of Athletics at Trent University; the pool is named after Fl. Lt. Allan Marshall, an “outstanding swimmer from Peterborough in the '40s” who held five Canadian swimming records; as early as 1948 he indicated in a conversation with Robertson Davies, editor of the Peterborough Examiner, that he was a strong supporter of a proposed university in Peterborough; the building was first built in 1977 and renovated in 2010.

Bata Library  

named for Thomas J. Bata, “in recognition of Mr. Bata's generous gift to the Development Fund for the completion of the library project”; “internationally respected industrialist, generous benefactor, and dedicated member of the Board of Governors in the Challenging Pioneer Years of Trent University.” The building opened in fall 1969.

Champlain College

opened in fall 1967, the building is named after Samuel de Champlain, explorer who descended the Otonabee River in this area in 1615.

Enweying

Together The First Peoples House of Learning and Peter Gzowski College comprise Enweying; the name means  “The Way We Speak Together.”

Faryon Bridge  

named for Reginald R. Faryon, “one of the first citizens of Peterborough to suggest the establishment of a university in the city, and an early organizer...”; his letter to the Peterborough Examiner advocating a post-secondary institution for the city appeared in December 1957; the bridge was designed by associates from Ron Thom's office including Paul Merrick and Morden Yolles.

Founders Walk  

the pathway between the Library, along the river over to and behind the Athletic facility; plaque commemorates citizens active in proposing and working towards the realization of Trent University.

Frost Centre

named after Leslie Frost (1895-1973), Conservative premier of Ontario from Lindsay from 1949 to 1961, and first Chancellor of Trent University.

Gzowski College

named for broadcaster, journalist and author Peter Gzowski (1934-2002); Chancellor of Trent University, 1999-2002; the colours of the building come from the four colours of the medicine wheel: yellow, red, black and white.

James McLean Oliver Ecological Centre

named the James McLean Oliver Ecological Centre, the property on Pigeon Lake was donated by his daughter Marjorie McLean Oliver to Trent in 1998.

Julian Blackburn College  

part-time program named after him; was a psychology professor and one of the “mid-wives” that Trent seconded from 3 established universities to help get Trent off the ground; was first chairman of part-time studies at Trent. 

Justin Chiu Stadium

named after Trent alum and philanthropist Justin Chiu.

Lady Eaton College

opened in fall 1968, the building is named for Flora McCrae Eaton, “one of the original honorary sponsors of Trent University”; born and educated in Omemee, trained as a nurse and married to Sir John Craig Eaton;  her father-in-law, Timothy Eaton, was the founder of the Eaton's department store chain.

Mackenzie Gallery  

named after the late Hugh A. Mackenzie; there is a plaque acknowledging the “generous support of the family...which made it possible”; he was a business consultant, sportsman, and interested in many aspects of the arts; “Mr. Mackenzie's son, Hugh Mackenzie, Jr., is one of Canada's outstanding young artists”; he was a brother of Mrs. George Douglas, Lakefield; the building first opened as a gallery in 1971; the gallery closed and later the building became used as office space.

Otonabee College  

started out being called College V for quite a while; many suggestions for names including “Kawartha” “Norman Bethune” “Lester B. Pearson” “Kidnosh” “Objibway” “Kinomagawin” “Wendakee”etc; request for opinions appeared in Fortnightly, Dec. 4, 1972 and the choice was between Kinomagawin (Algonquin for 'place of thinking') Otonabee and Wendakee ('Huronia'); officially named Otonabee in 1972. The north residence wing opened in 1973 and the south residence wing in 1974.  The architect was Macy Dubois of Fairfield and Dubois.

Peter Robinson College

named after Peter Robinson, the government representative responsible for organizing the first substantial immigration to the Peterborough area.

Abbott House, 754 Water St.,was built in 1901-2 by the Kendry family who moved there after spending 10 years in their former home located at 751 George St. which was later purchased by James Stratton. Abbott house is explicitly mentioned in Kendry's will probated in 1919 and was bequeathed to his daughter Gertrude Burnham to live in throughout her life.

Sadleir House, 751 George St.; built for James Kendry, 1845-1918 (Conservative M.P., owner of Auburn Woolen Mills and Mayor) and then owned by James Stratton, Liberal M.P. and M.P.P. Eventually sold to Sheehy family; known firstly as Peter Robinson College House by Trent University but originally named Strathormond by Stratton;  later it was named Sadleir House after Richard Sadleir, the first Master of Peter Robinson College; it is now home of the Peter Robinson Community and Student Association.

Denne House,  Roland Denne was a former mayor of Peterborough (1928-1935).

East Lodge, 748 George St.

Reade House, 741 George St.  Dr. George Hume Reade was an early doctor in Peterborough who came to attend the Peter Robinson settlers.

Stratton House, 740 Water St. See James Stratton (1857-1916) above under “Sadleir”. Stratton was owner of Examiner, M.P.P., president of Peterborough Lock Co. and a general financier.

The Cottage, 733 George St.

North House, 755 George St.

Rubidge Hall  

first location of Trent University; named after Captain Charles Rubidge, an early settler in Peterborough; this building was originally built as South Central Public School.

Traill College

named for Catharine Parr Traill, local author and amateur botanist.

Scott House, named for Jeannette Scott, first non-indigenous person born in Peterborough.

Langton House, named for Anne Langton who settled in the Sturgeon Lake area; journals written in 1837-1846 published in 1950 as A Gentlewoman in Upper Canada; artist and teacher of settler's children.

Crawford House, named for Isabella Valancy Crawford, born in Dublin and settled in Lakefield and then Peterborough; poet, fl. 1884.

Stewart House, named for Frances Stewart, wife of Thomas A. Stewart, settler in Peterborough area; letters to family members published after her death as Our Forest Home.

Wallis Hall, named for Katherine Wallis (1860-1957), artist, born in Peterborough; born in the family home called 'Merino'; died in Santa Cruz California. The Wallis papers are in Trent University Archives.

names approved for Scott, Langton, Crawford and Stewart at Board of Governors meeting, May, 1965.

Kerr House, named in 1971; name suggested by Nancy Sherouse as suitable to honour Kerr family;  people were already calling 299 Dublin St. by that name.

Bradburn House, was acquired by the University in 1991 - the University leased it from 1983-1991. It is named after Thomas Bradburn whose family lived in the house from 1870-1909. The house was built for Bradburn some time between 1863 and 1870 but most probably around 1870. Bradburn was a prominent businessman who built the Bradburn Opera House (now gone).  Bradburn House became an orphanage in 1909 and later became the Balmoral Nursing Home.

University Court  

area of podium between Bata Library and Champlain College; officially named University Court;  convocation ceremonies are held here.

Wenjack Theatre (in Otonabee College)

named in memory of Charles Wenjack, a native student at a residential school who ran away and died while trying to get back to his home.

Windy Pine

located on Lake Kushog in Haliburton County, the property was owned by Flora Morrison and Dr. Mary. L. Northway from 1940 to 1982; they planned and led girls' canoe trips from their camp Windy Pine;  Dr. Northway donated the land to Trent University;  the Trent University Archives Reading Room is named in Dr. Northway's honour.