Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description


Accession Number: 91-1005


Peterborough Centennial Museum opening ceremony. -- 28 Oct. 1967. -- 1 item.

Biography / History

The Centennial Museum originated from the need in the city for a new museum. The Peterborough District Historical and Art Museum Foundation was established in 1961 to fund and establish a new museum and safeguard remnants of the Victoria Museum collection. Originally Victoria Museum grew out of the Peterborough Historical Society's efforts to preserve the past. The museum had a number of cases of birds and animals, Indigenous curios, old documents, antique firearms, an old canoe and displays of minerals. T.A.S. Hay became the first curator when the Victoria Museum moved from Inverlea Park to the top floor of the new library building on April 23, 1912. G.H. Clarke became the next curator as Hay died in 1917 and at the same time the Library Board took over stewardship of the museum. By the 1950's much of the museum's collection had been dispersed to other sources in the Peterborough area. The Historical Society re-established itself and the museum became renewed with display cases on the upper floor and in the basement of the library. On November 19, 1966 the Historical Society transferred ownership of the Victoria Museum collection to the Peterborough District Historical and Art Museum Foundation since the society was not incorporated. Eventually the artifacts which were part of the Victoria Museum's collections and later under library stewardship came to be housed in the Peterborough Centennial Museum. On October 28, 1967 the Peterborough Centennial Museum was officially opened on Armour Hill and the collections of the Victoria Museum became a part of the Centennial Museum's collections. (Taken from: Doherty, Ken "Preserving Peterborough's Past: 150 Years of Museums and History." Occasional Paper 16. Peterborough Historical Society, November 1995.)

Custodial History


Scope and Content

This item is a printed program for the opening ceremony of the Peterborough Centennial Museum on October 28, 1967. Participants in the opening ceremonies were Lt. Col. R.J. Bolton, Rev. D.E. Tansley, Mayor Jos. Behan, Carmen Metcalfe, Hugh Faulkner M.P., Walter Pitman, Magistrate W.R. Philp, A. Kraetzer-museum contractor, E.B. Zeidler-museum architect and Col. Hugh Wallis as the guest speaker.


This item was donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

For related records see: 89-1058 and 95-004.