Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 91-005


Tillicum Crews fonds. -- 1923-1932. -- 1 folder. -- 1 map.

Biography / History

The Tillicum Crews operated in the 1920's. They were part of the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) organized camps and only members of the YMCA could participate. The director of the Tillicum Crews was G.A. Anderson of Might Directories, a man knowledgable on the Temagami region. The Tillicum Crews were named Tillicum which came from the 1898 Klondike Gold Rush. A Tillicum to a Siwash native was his trail partner.

Custodial History

This fonds was in the custody of Professor David Stewart before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of narrations of Temagami canoe trips conducted by the "Tillicum Crews". There is also one map and some promotional materials.


Title based on content of fonds.

This fonds was donated by Professor David Stewart.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

Finding Aid

Box 1

loose in box:

Klahowya Tillicum's skipper's certificate 1923 (certifying that..., (name), "being a Sourdough by having paddled, portaged, climbed and camped with the Tillicums...has...been awarded the Tillicum "T")

blue journal entitled: Klahowya Tillicum - Temagami 1923 ("being the log of the Tillicum Crews in Temagami August 4th to 18th, 1923") - includes 4 photographs and map of Lake Nipissing District and Temagami Region (2 copies)

blue journal entitled: Canoeing and Fishing with the Tillicums on Lake Temagami August 1927 (a narration of a vacation taken by the author, Cyril E. Bailey, in 1927)

Folder 1:

typed article entitled: "Cruise of the Terrible Three" ("being the log of the trip into the Magnetewan and French River Country by the Toronto Crews...) undated

"The Tillicum Crews" brochures (re: Temagami canoe trips) 1925, 1926, 1930, 1932

promotional form letter (1928), with lists of crew members attached

"Tillicum Reunion: London, Ont. October 18th, 1930" program and song sheets

loose in box: linen-backed blueprint map: "Map of Temagami Lake and Adjacent Lakes" undated