Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 89-1065


View of Peterborough in the District of Newcastle Upper Canada... / K.E.S. -- 1835. -- 1 drawing : pencil ; 22 X 28 cm.

Biography / History

Peterborough is situated, for the most part, on the west bank of the Otonabee River which runs south into Rice Lake. Samuel de Champlain was the first European to cross the site of Peterborough. In 1819 Barnabus Bletcher, Thomas Edmison, John Farrelly, Charles Fothergill, Adam Scott and Thomas Ward entered the area looking for a suitable mill site. The mill eventually became a landmark to residents and travellers in the area until it burnt down in 1835. In 1825 Peter Robinson entered the area with Irish settlers. The area was originally known as Scott's Plains. In 1826 the settlement was named Peterborough in honour of Peter Robinson. The town had mills and churches to start with and eventually expanded with banking arriving in 1840 and water power in the 1850's. (Taken from: "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peterborough County, 1825-1875." Peterborough: The Peterborough Historical Atlas Foundation Inc., 1975.)

Custodial History


Scope and Content

This item is a pencil sketch of the Otonabee River and the District of Newcastle where the village of Peterborough was located. The sketch was produced by "K.E.S."


This item was donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N