Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting library@trentu.ca. Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 83-1005

Title

Central Public School fonds. -- [ca. 1888]. -- 9 photographs.

Biography / History

Central School was the first stone common school built in the Town of Peterborough. It was built on Murray Street in 1860 and, due to the increasing number of children enrolling, another school was built immediately west of Central School in 1871. South Central School was established in 1871 on the corner of Rubidge and Sherbrooke Streets. (Taken from: "The Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peterborough County 1825-1875." Canada: The Peterborough Historical Atlas Foundation Inc., 1975.) The land it was built on was purchased for $600.00 in 1873. Later known to Trent University students as Rubidge Hall which was the first building to house the University.

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This fonds includes photographs of Central Public School, South Central Public School, teaching staff and pupils.

Notes

Title based on content of fonds.

Donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

Additions to the fonds include 91-1004.

For related records see: 89-009