Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 82-013


Camp Pine Crest fonds. Additions. -- [between 1948 and 1952]. -- 46 photographs : b&w, glass slides ; 8 x 8 cm.

Biography / History

Camp Pine Crest is a children's camp run by the Toronto YMCA. It was first opened in 1910, and moved to its current location in 1911. The first camp director was E.D. Otter. The camp is comprised of 650 acres (originally only 300 acres) and it is situated on the shores of Clear Lake, Gull Lake and Echo Lake, near Torrence in the Muskokas. Originally, Camp Pine Crest was established as a boys only camp, but in 1980 it became a co-ed camp.

Custodial History

The glass slides were taken by Charles Potter, of 16 Adelaide Street West, Toronto. They were in the custody of Camp Pine Crest until the fonds was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This addition to the fonds consists of 46 glass slides depicting a variety of camp scenes: people and activities, waterfront programme, visitors, sports day and other events. All of the slides were taken at Camp Pine Crest.


Title based on subject of the fonds.

The fonds was donated by Camp Pine Crest.

The slides are numbered from 1 to 50. There is an extra slide numbered 1A and slides 14, 30, 34, 47 and 48 are not included in this unit.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

This fonds is an addition to 78-009.

For related records see: 72-007, 78-006, 86-018, 88-006, 89-015, and 92-005.

Finding Aid

Although the slides are undated, internal evidence suggests that they were taken around 1948-52. The slides are generally in good condition, and exhibit very few signs of deterioration. They bear the label of Charles Potter, 16 Adelaide Street West, a photographer whose work is not represented in the Guide to Canadian Photographic Archives, published by the Public Archives of Canada.

The slides are all black and white.