Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting library@trentu.ca. Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 78-002

Title

Cobourg Post Office register of registered letters. -- 1865-1868. -- 1 v.

Biography / History

Cobourg is located in Hamilton Township, in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, on the north shore of Lake Ontario. The area was first settled in 1798 by Elias Nicholson who built his home within the limits of what was to become the town plot. Originally called Amherst, Cobourg has also been known by the names of Hamilton and Hardscrabble. In 1819, the developing town was given the name Cobourg. The post office was established by 1831 and the first postmaster was prominent businessman and merchant James G. Bethune. Cobourg was incorporated as a village in 1837 and incorporated as a town in 1850. (taken from "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Ontario." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Ltd., 1972.; and Guillet, E.C. "Cobourg 17798-1948." Oshawa: Goodfellow Printing Comapny Limited, 1948.)

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This item is a register of registered mail delivered to Cobourg Post Office between 1865 and 1868 showing where mail was mailed from, to whom it was addressed and the date it was delivered.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the item.

This item was donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y