Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting library@trentu.ca. Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 77-1010

Title

Gaol and court house building committee minutes fonds. -- Photocopied [ca. 1977]. -- 1 item (22 p.).

Biography / History

The goal and courthouse building committee was established April 10, 1828. Its purpose was to make arrangements for procuring material and the construction of new gaol and courthouse. Members of the committee included Walter Boswell, Zaccheus Burnham, Robert Henry, David Smart, James G. Bethune, Thomas Ward, and Elias Jones. The chosen site for the gaol and courthouse was Amherst, located near Cobourg, also in Hamilton Township. The end result was a large stone building which cost approximately 6000 pounds. In 1837, Cobourg became a police village, and the village of Amherst was amalgamated and became part of Cobourg. (Taken from: Spilsbury, John R. "Cobourg: early days and modern times." Cobourg: The Cobourg Book Company, 1981.)

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of photocopies of the minutes of the gaol and courthouse building committee, from 1828 to 1831, at Amherst in Hamilton Township, Newcastle District.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Some of the pages are difficult to read due to the poor quality of the photocopying.

This fonds was donated from an unknown source.

The original quarter sessions are located at the Archives of Ontario (R.G. 22-7).

Restrictions: The copies may not be reproduced for any other purpose other than personal research without the consent of the Archives of Ontario.