Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 73-002


57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers fonds. -- Photocopied [before 1973]. -- 15 cm of textual records.

Biography / History

The 57th Batallion of Infantry was gazetted in 1867. In total, seven independent companies were amalgamated: three from Peterborough; one each from Ashburnham, Lakefield, Norwood, and Hastings. In May 1886, the companies stationed at Ashburnham, Keene, Norwood, and Hastings were moved to Peterborough, and the Battalion henceforth was viewed by the public as a city, not a country, unit. By General Order 105, 1900, the Battalion was designated as the 57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers. In World War I, its members on Active Service took part in various C.E.F. Battalions. Upon reorganization in August 1920, the designation "Peterborough Rangers" was maintained. A more general reorganization of the militia occurred in 1936, where the 3rd Prince of Wales Canadian Dragoons, the 57th Peterborough Rangers, and `C' Company of the 4th Canadian Machine Gun Battalion were amalgamated to form the Prince of Wales Rangers (Peterborough Regiment). In June 1940, the Regiment was authorized to mobilize `Headquarters Company' for service with the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders of the 3rd Division. In August 1940, men were taken for the Active Service Force. Another mobilization for active service followed in 1942. As part of this, (May 14, 1942) the 1st Battalion went to Niagara-on-the-Lake, and thence, in June 1942, to British Columbia, and to Europe in 1944 as a reinforcement Battalion. Following the end of World War II, the 2nd Battalion was deactivated, and the 1st Battalion resumed its role as a militia unit. In 1947, the Regiment ceased to exist as an infantry unit, and became part of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, being designated as the 50th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Prince of Wales Rangers, Royal Canadian Artillery. Further adjustments and reorganization ensued. On August 22, 1955, it became the 50th Medium Anti-Aircraft Regiment (the Prince of Wales Rangers), and on June 6, 1960, was reorganized and designated as the 50th Field Artillery Regiment, Prince of Wales Rangers, Royal Canadian Artillery, being equipped with the Mm. Howitzer. On July 6, 1960, the 45th Field Battalion from Lindsay was attached to the Peterborough unit; on December 16, 1964, the 14th Field Battery was amalgamated with the unit. As of March 31, 1970, the regiment was reduced to NIL strength, and was transferred to the Supplementary order of Battle.

Custodial History

The fonds was previously in the custody of Major D.P. Pryde, one of the co-authors of the history of the 57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers and he donated the fonds to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of a photocopy of the history of the 57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers from 1914 to 1916 written by Francis H. Dobbin. It includes an index. The history from 1946 to 1970 was continued by Major D.P. Pryde.


Title based on the creator of the fonds.

The fonds was donated by Major D. P. Pryde.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

Records relating to the Peterborough Rangers and the Prince of Wales Rangers are located in the Militia Records of the Peterborough Centennial Museum.

For related records see: 77-024 (Leslie M. Frost fonds) and 84-004 (UCND).

Finding Aid

Box 1


1: Francis H. Dobbin: 57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers - A History, with index. 1914-1916. Photocopy of typescript.

2: Major D.P. Pryde: 50th Field Artillery Regiment, Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, The Prince of Wales Rangers. Photocopy. This is a Regimental history, compiled by Major Pryde. It includes a concise back-grounding in the whole framework of Peterborough military history, 1837 to 31 March 1970, the last day of artillery garrisoned in Peterborough.

3: Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment -"Mess Call" newsletter April 1971 -Mess Dinner Invitation held 23 April 1971