Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting library@trentu.ca. Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 70-1006

Title

Cobourg-Peterborough Rail Road Company debenture. -- 1 Jan. 1854. -- 1 item.

Biography / History

The Cobourg-Peterborough Railway Company was incorporated on November 11, 1852. Its purpose was to build a steam railway between the two cities, a distance of twenty-five miles interrupted by the waters of Rice Lake. This necessitated the building of a trestle nearly three miles long to carry the railway between the north and south banks of the lake. The citizens of Cobourg subscribed 125,000 pounds of the project. The construction contract was placed with Samuel Zimmerman and the first sod was turned on February 9, 1853. The first fifteen miles of the line were opened for traffic on May 19, 1854, and on November 15 of the same year, the Rice Lake Bridge was completed. The railway finally reached Peterborough on December 29, 1854. Unfortunately, during the winter, ice jams shook the flimsy Rice Lake bridge and by 1861 had destroyed it. Money difficulties, caused by expensive maintenance of the line and the rivalry of the Peterborough-Port Hope Railway which opened in August 1858 and took most of the Peterborough traffic, led the Company to the mineral industry in Marmora for financial assistance. In 1865, it was authorized to merge with the Marmora Iron Works on the August 15, 1866, and this alliance led to the incorporation of the Cobourg, Peterborough, Marmora Railway and Mining company. This arrangement was successful for only a short period of time. By 1883 the Company was once again losing money, In May 1886, the bondholders took action and the railway and its rolling stock were sold to Mr. T.P. Pearce. In June 1887, the Cobourg, Blairton, and Marmora Railway and Mining Company was incorporated and took over the residual assets of the previous company. Before the Railway could be put into operation the Grand Trunk Railway assumed control and the Company finally disappeared in the general almagamation of the Grand Trunk short lines on April 1, 1893. The Grand Trunk Railway was in turn acquired by the Canadian National Railway in 1923.

Custodial History

This item was in the custody to Fred Edgar before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This item is a debenture-mortgage issued to Samuel Zimmerman, or the holder thereof, and used as evidence in a case involving John Fisken, and the executors of the Company's stock affairs, Wm. Proudfoot and T.G. Ridout, in 1868.

Notes

Title based on the company which created the item.

This item was donated by Mr. Fred Edgar.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y