Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 69-1004


One hundred years' history of St. Andrew's Church, Peterborough, 1833/1933. -- 1933. -- 1 item.

Biography / History

St. Andrew's Church, originally a Presbyterian Congregation, was formally organized in Peterborough in 1833 by Reverend J. Morrice Roger of the Established Church of Scotland. The first place of worship was a rented building located on the north side of King Street, west of Aylmer Street. On May 30, 1835, St. Andrew's Church received a Crown grant which included the land on which the church now stands. In 1836, the first church building was built, made entirely of stone quarried from property owned by the church. By 1884, it was decided by the congregation that a new church building was necessary. The cornerstone was laid June 29, 1885, and on May 2, 1886, the new St. Andrew's Church was formally opened and dedicated. In 1924, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church became St. Andrew's United Church.

Custodial History


Scope and Content

This item is carbon copy of a typescript history of St. Andrew's United Church titled "One Hundred Years' History of St. Andrew's Church, Peterborough 1833-1933." It was written and later published by E. Bruce Fowler.


Title based on the subject of the item.

This item was donated by G. Wilson Craw.

Restrictions: N

Other records of St. Andrew's United Church, Peterborough can be found at St. Andrew's.