Trent University Library & Archives continues to offer electronic collections and virtual services. As part of the University’s limited and reduced campus presence, Bata Library and the Durham GTA Campus Library & Learning Centre are closed and physical collections are unavailable. Virtual services and support are available by contacting library@trentu.ca. Check for updates regularly on our COVID-19 Alert Page.

Curbside Pickup for Faculty & Graduate Students is available starting June 23rd.

Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 69-1002

Title

Edward C. Caddy fonds. -- 1839-1842. -- 2 prints: photocopies, b&w; 22 x 33 cm.

Biography / History

Edward C. Caddy (1815-1897) was a land surveyor who learned his trade in Peterborough between 1839 and 1842. He was also a painter in the Trent Valley District. His landscapes were primarily in water colour.

Custodial History

This fonds was in the custody of Helen, granddaughter of Edward Caddy, and Gordon Roper before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of two photocopies of drawings of early Peterborough by Edward C. Caddy. The first is a drawing of Conger Hill, 1839-1842, and the second is a drawing of the Courthouse and St. John's Church, 1839.

Notes

Title based on the creator of the items in the fonds.

The photocopies are very faded and the details of the drawings are difficult to discern.

The fonds was donated by Mrs. Helen Roper, great granddaughter of John Caddy, September, 1968.

The originals belong to Professor and Mrs. Gordon Roper, Toronto, Ontario.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

95-1006 is an addition to this fonds.

There are several unaccessioned original sketches and watercolours in the custody of Trent University Archives - Please consult the archivist for access.